Monday, February 2, 2009

Cabin Fever




Here in MN, many people have cabins on lakes - weekend getaways in the beautiful MN and WI wilderness. We are barely able to keep one house in working order, so we're not yet one of the fortunate ones to have a second home in the woods. Instead, we have the next best thing - friends with cabins. But when it came time to decorate our basement family room, I was inspired by the thought of a outdoorsy retreat. Family Tree Petrol was just the thing to create that vibe.


The corner with the fireplace has posed a bit of a conundrum for me. First, the fireplace itself. I don't like it. It's not horrible, but it's not great, either. I toyed with the idea of painting it white, but wasn't 100% convinced that was the right thing to do, so I waited. That was 6 months ago when we moved in and I'm still undecided. I'm also debating whether I should wallpaper that wall and the wall behind the television. The other thing is finding something to hang above it.


I'm leaning towards these fun cardboard deer heads. I think that they capture the tongue-in-cheek lodge-y feeling I'm going for. But I wonder whether a piece of artwork would be better?


I've always loved Ansel Adams's Moonrise Over Hernandez because it reminds me of northern New Mexico where I grew up.

Or this print from Lizzie Stewart, one of my etsy faves. I think the orange would pop nicely against the blue of the wallpaper...


And just in case we do eventually decide to do the cabin thing, I'm headed straight to Alchemy Architects for one of their weeHouses. Brilliant!

No comments: