Thursday, November 6, 2008

DIY Clipboard

When Christiana was last visiting, the current issue of Martha Stewart Living had a great project - using wallpaper to spruce up simple masonite clipboards. The desk in our kitchen was in need of something to hold important notes, tickets and coupons, so I thought I'd give it a try. As usual, Martha was right - it's adorable!

First, trace the outline of the clipboard on the back of the wallpaper. I'm using Bindweed, but a pattern with a smaller repeat such as Fir Tree might be even better.

Now the tricky part - cut a space in the top of the paper to accommodate the clip. I'm not going to lie - this was not easy and I wish I had a tip on how to do it well, but I don't. Martha might have had one, but I haven't been able to find the magazine as of press time. I ended up taking a rectangle the size of the clip out and then custom cutting the curved pieces to match the top. Another solution - painting the clipboard and using a smaller piece of wallpaper with a border around the outside so you skip having to work around the clip altogether. Or, I think that the masonite has a cool look to it, so you could leave a masonite border as well.

I used Paper Source's bookbinding paste to adhere the paper to the clipboard.

Apply a thin coat and smooth the paper on from the middle of the board out to avoid bubbles and ensure that the paper is attached well.

And voila! All in all, it was a 15 minute project and a great way to use up left over bits of wallpaper. I'm planning to do several for my home office next - I think that I will print labels (Bills, Shopping List, School) and put them on the clip to help organize myself even more. Of course, cleaning my house would probably also held with the whole organization thing, but making wallpaper clipboards is so much more fun!

1 comment:

JB said...

super cute!! good job, i used scrap book paper didn't work well. yours looks amazing!